I remember the smell of his Old Spice. I swear I can still smell it even though the bottle was tossed.
I remember the smile on his face when I walked into the room. He was always so happy to see me.
I remember his laugh whenever I poked fun at him. His humor was dry, and if he laughed, it was an honor to be the one to make him finally laugh. Yet, I never had any trouble getting him to do it.
I remember his snore. The family would be laughing, talking; kids were running around; and in the middle of it all, there he was, in his big green chair - snoring.
When I was a little girl, he'd take me out on walks through the woods by his condo. We would pick flowers to take back to Grandma. He would tell me to watch my step. We'd find the coolest looking walking sticks. He would tell me what birds or animals we were looking at.
Every Christmas he was in charge of order. He would try with all his might, no matter how complicated, to keep order in chaos. There were 4 trashcans through out the room and we were all to properly dispose of our wrapping papers. However, without fail, every single year, the family would turn it into a basketball game with balls of wrapping paper flying across the room. "Now would you knock that off? You're a bunch of grown ups acting like children! Oh for Christ's sake, you missed! Now go pick that up and put it IN THE TRASH BUCKET!"
"I know you're 30 something years old, but dammit, you're my granddaughter and I'm very proud of you."
I miss you Grandpa. So much. Your passing has caused silence in the house. Christmas isn't the same without you. LIFE isn't the same without you. Someday I will see you again on the other side.
I love you.
In memory of Gerald Priebe 10/25/29 - 3/11/09 Always remembered, always loved.
Christmas back in the day $150 dollars,
ReplyDeleteChristmas today, $350 dollars.
Christmas with grandpa's priceless.
I know Ang.... I miss mine too :(
beautiful post.