Thursday, December 17, 2009

It's been a while, but there's a good reason for it.

As of December 1, 2009, I have not been smoking.  I quit the nasty habit, and it has been quite the ride!  I had every intention of writing this blog when I started, but my struggles caused me to divert my plan. Rather than typing, I was grabbing whatever I could to put into my mouth. Even small children and puppies weren't safe in my path. I kid, really...maybe.  Well ok, the worst they would have gotten was a nasty dirty look from me.  Maybe.

Ok, back on track.  My quit has been a surreal experience.  Prior to my quit date, I had to educate myself.  I wanted to know what the healing process was.  I wanted to know what methods were available.  I needed to know that I could quit.  So I called the Colorado Quit Line and they sent me two boxes of patches. 

The night of November 30th, I slapped on the patch and went to bed.  I couldn't sleep the whole night.  My mind was throwing a fit - my body wanted a smoke.  My mind was screaming, "Are you kidding yourself??  You can't quit!!"  My alarm finally interrupted my sleep-less night.  I usually would go outside as soon as I relieved my impatient bladder.  That morning was the first time in years that I didn't follow ritual.  Instead, I turned on the shower.  The water was a tad hotter than usual, but it felt good.  I proceeded to get ready for work, and walked out the door.  I didn't have any kids that morning, which is probably a good thing.  As soon as I got into my car and turned over the ignition, the demon came flying at me.  I craved.  HARD.  I wanted that smoke more than anything.  I nearly started crying.  I looked at my iPod and said "SAVE ME."  I found my playlist of favorite songs, cranked it up as high as the volume would go.  I sang as I drove.  It didn't matter to me if anyone saw me.  It didn't matter if anyone thought I was losing my mind.  It didn't matter if I couldn't even match the tones.  I wasn't going to smoke.  Period.

My biggest fear was how the day at the office would go.  Smoking was allowed.  I knew I was going to have to fight my cravings while smelling the smoke all day.  Armed with my sunflower seeds and water, I braved on.  I announced my quit as soon as I walked in the door.  Immediately everyone laughed.  Would you believe they started a pool?  "How long will it take before Angie starts smoking again?"  That was all the motivation I needed.  You see, I've always been the rebellious sort.  Tell me I can't do something - you better sit down because I'm going to do everything to prove you wrong.

Fast forward 17 days later.  STILL QUIT.  I never had one slip.  I finally convinced the boss to kick the smokers outside because...well, it's illegal.  Big victory for me!  Now I am completely smoke free.  I had to add Wellbutrin to my methods, only to make the emotional outbursts milder.  My poor King - I thought for sure he would have buried me six feet under by now.  However, he has been my partner in all this.  He quit as well.  We had a few spats here and there, but in the end, we always apologized, hugged, and battled on.

Please don't be fooled.  My quit isn't over yet.  I still have some time to go before I'm completely past all this.  I still get a craving now and then.  But the cravings only happen once a day.  When I visited my doctor, she actually told me that in 10 years, I will have decreased my chances of getting cancer by slim to none.  How amazing are our bodies??  In half the time I smoked, my lungs will heal.  My body is already going through a healing process.  I have a cough at the moment, but it's cleaning out my lungs.  I spit out this horrible gunk of brown mucus.  The doctor said, "That's the tar."  Oh my god.  I can't believe I actually put that crap in my lungs!!  How could I do that to myself???  I like to consider myself to be a rather health concious person.  But if you really think about it, I was a living example of an oxymoron.  "I like to take vitamins because they make me healthy.  Hang on while I add more chemicals and toxins into my body."  MORON!

And now that I have actually quit, I can get myself on a good health plan.  I am going to do a complete physical.  My doctor and I are going to create a life plan that will help me continue to strive for a long and healthy life. 

I will end this for today.  I am very happy to report that all is better than ever!

(And for those that are waiting for the introductions of the rest of my court, I will resume that very soon!)



No comments:

Post a Comment